Wednesday 11 October 2017

Session 14 - Marcus's Journal

Having acquired the permission we needed we returned to the hotel for the night, expecting to travel at first light, our plan was to slip away reasonably unnoticed by any of De La Vega’s men, something stirred at us that there was something more sinister under the surface of that man.

In the morning, Sloane  and I went to find Guillermo, he advised us that we had to wait as there was an issue with one of the trucks, something with the motor.  All preparations were ready, provisions and supplies a plenty, Sloane  then loaded his small arsenal in a sealed bag on the rear of the truck, not willing to show them around town.  Thinking himself useful, Sloane  began watching and questioning the mechanics on the truck, an old beat up thing that’s sole purpose was to go along roads, never in the scrub, yet this looked like it had been all over the jungle.  After an hour or so of Spanish and English exchanges between Sloane  and the mechanics to which Sloane  clearly had no idea, the truck started and we were ready.  Our party consisted of Myself, Sloane , Rigel, Rick Luke, Guillermo, Pablo and four porters, hopefully enough to complete the task at hand.

After an hour or two of driving, the truck came to a stop at the edge of the jungle, its waist high grass daunting as anything could have been lurking feet from us without us being the wiser.  Everyone disembarked, observing all in our party, Rigel carried very little, his long coat that he never seemed to be out of concealed all manner of items, weapons, canteen and satchel of who knows what.  Sloane  however was the opposite, pistols, shotgun, rifle and supplies all strapped securely anywhere there was room.  Guillermo carried a machete, revolver and canteen, leaving the rest to the porters.  Rick looked more like a westerner that we did, a pistol strapped to his chest, his clothes clean and freshly washed, his canteen on his hip and a small satchel bag containing minimal contents.  Pablo also carried a revolver and basic supplies, leaving most to the porters in the same way Guillermo had done.  I myself was more cautious, my Webley revolver under my arm, my 1911 on my waste and my Rifle over my shoulder, my light pack containing water and food, more than necessary but due to our history, I thought it best to think ahead.

The porters took the lead, about 15 to 20 meters ahead of us, a path had been cut recently the Jungle had already started to reclaim it but there was enough to follow, clearly the path of Dominguez and his expedition.  For three hours we trudged through the dense jungle, a beautiful place from the outside, its canopy of lush green covering mountains and hills, the sight of small water ways visible from the hills we had crossed during the drive.  Inside the jungle however, such misery, Sloane  was feeling it the worst, the mosquitos and general sounds of the jungle making him increasingly on edge, he was ready to go home.  Our first stop came and went briefly, granting us only enough time to drink and catch our breath, the undergrowth was murderous on our feet, even in good quality gear, this jungle was not a welcome place.

Our second march took us another three hours into the jungle, all very much the same, the intense green in all directions.  It was during our search for a place to stop that we heard the porters yelling up ahead, Rick rushed to the front to investigate, Sloane  and I both followed with our rifles ready.  A tall stone obelisk stood overgrown along the path.  Rick began hacking the greenery from it to reveal carvings of Mayan warriors raising decapitated heads of fallen enemies towards the top of the spire, the apex however had crumbled, a large section of stone missing.  I began to search the surrounding jungle floor for it to no avail.  Guillermo told us that these were just mere pillars constructed centuries ago and that they were nothing out of the ordinary in the jungle.

Looking closely at the stone, the carvings were clearly done by skilled hands, the intricate work of snakes and details were sometimes too small to make out exactly.  To me this felt like the markings of a border, something to mark territory.  Rick showed obvious signs of excitement, convinced we were on the right path. Pablo on the other hand was shaken, his words with Guillermo fell on deaf ears.

The light was starting to fail, the night was coming and with it, the likelihood of getting lost unless we set up camp soon.  Rick was insistent of camping near the pillar, however it was Guillermo who pushed everyone on, within 30 minutes we came across a clearing with obvious signs of former campers.  This was the site of the first stop of the previous expedition, small darked patches where fires had been lit, the jungle already trying to swallow the small clearing back up.

The porters got to work setting up all the tents and building small fires to begin cooking.  Pablo approached us with a jar containing some sort of paste to keep the insects away, fowl smelling yet effective, Sloane  lathered himself in it out of sheer frustration.  Sleep was as rare as sand in this jungle.  I may have had a mere two to three hours, enough to give me the energy for another day’s slow walk, Sloane  however fared no better, his only relief coming from the insect pate Pablo had offered.

The new day reflected much of the same, long walks with short breaks, it was at about 5pm that we reached a ridgeline, a raised view of what was to come, despite the picturesque canopy before us, dark storm clouds were brewing in the distance, we knew that we had to make good time to try and beat the oncoming storm.  All was for not within an hour, the rain began to shower us in a heavy soak.  The water was cold, stinging our exposed skin, visibility reduced to a mere few meters in front of our faces. Rick Luke, again keen on making camp to get out of the rain was cast aside by Guillermo who seemed all to insistent to brave the weather.  We came across a fallen tree that lay across the path we were walking.  We had begun a slow circle around a hill, a mild incline on one side, a shallow decline on the other, Everyone hopped the tree with ease, all except myself, my footing gave way and I found myself sliding through the mud down about 20 meters coming to rest against another strange stone.  Sloane  called to me and threw a rope down the hill, beginning his descent to find me.  Within a few minutes, Pablo and Sloane  arrived at my side, somewhat relieved to find me uninjured.  We turned out attention to the stone to see it was another of the obelisks that littered the area, this time, its peak was intact.  Again the severed heads of warriors being offered to a deity, this one resembled a large toad like creature, its mouth full of fangs and tentacles protruding from within.  This image startled Sloane  as the mere mention of a mouth, causing his stomach to churn.  He explained to me how we would re-join the others, I knew we wouldn’t stray to far as Rigel was under my instruction to make sure we were found.

Within an hour of following Pablo, we had reconnected with the train set by the previous expedition, the boot prints in the mud told us we were a little behind our party.  After another hour we came into view of a small clearing, another former campsite where our porter were completing the assembly of the tents and tarps in a vein effort to keep us dry.  Looking around I noticed something strange, Guillermo was no where to be seen.  After scouring the area, his boot prints gave away that he had wandered in a different direction, as we tried to follow them, he appeared ahead of us.  Sloane , not one to mince words demanded to know where he had gone, insisting on finding a place to relieve himself, he moved past us back to camp.  I mentioned to Rigel to investigate and he did so, moving out of site.  We re-joined the others back at camp to find them huddled around a small fire barely burning, everyone present.

Rigel returned a few minutes later had handed me a note explaining that there was another set of boot prints out there.  This gave Sloane  and I cause for concern, our suspicions were correct, Guillermo was not to be trusted, I asked Rigel to keep watch of him, if anyone could handle such a treacherous man, it was Rigel.  Sloane  insisted on confrontation, however I persuaded him to wait until the rain slowed and we were in a better condition, the morning at first light.

The night fell again, dark and wet, sleep came easier due to our exhaustion, Sloane  and I decided to sleep in shifts, this new information that we were not alone out here giving us reason to stay awake.

I rose to the feeling of Sloane  thumping me on the boot, telling me something or someone is out there, he claimed to have seen the glint of steel against the fire and a scuffle before the noise disappeared.  Armed and ready, we left our tent and began looking around in the cold rain, Guillermo was gone, so too was Rigel.  We followed the source of the noise Sloane  had hears, signs of an obvious brawl, no blood, just mud slides and foot prints leading away.  Sloane  grabbed the dozing Pablo and we began our chase, before doing so, I took a quick count of everyone else, all still sleeping, no one else missing.

Pablo led us on for a short time before we reached a clearing, the light of our flashlights catching a few things out of the ordinary, large branches and loose grass in circular patterns, Sloane  was the first to identify it, a dead fall.  Removing the branches, we found sharpened steaks about 2 feet deep, waiting for the unlucky beast to fall in.  The boot prints we were following seemed to be random, weaving around several of these traps before we came across one that was disturbed.  A blood trail followed.  Groans from ahead revealed to us the location of Rigel, there he was crawling after the boot prints ahead of him.  I ran to his side seeing a puncture through his left leg.  Sloane  and I argued about Guillermo, do we follow or do we turn back.  We both returned to our senses and Pablo led us back, Rigel slumped over my shoulder.

Back at Camp I bound Rigel’s leg tight, the wound was clean, through and through, Rigel insisted on cauterising it with gunpowder and fire.  To my disgust, I did, strapping it tightly once finished, at least allowing him to move under his own power.  He wrote me another note, Guillermo had been walking towards our tent with a machete when Rigel intercepted him, clearly a fighter, Guillermo had broken Rigel’s nose and cheek before fleeing with Rigel in pursuit.

At the noise being made, Rick Luke joined us, oblivious to the trouble it seemed.  Having been curious earlier and letting it get to me, I demanded to know what was in his satchel, it was too light for any kind of supplies.  Luke had come across three sticks of dynamite.  Something Sloane  found so exciting.  Insisting on keeping them, Sloane  took comfort knowing that at least someone in the party had something useful.

As morning broke, so did the rain, the light drizzle barely touching us under the canopy of the jungle.  Undeterred, Pablo was now in the lead, following the path of mud that was rapidly drying.  Three hours into our walk, the porters stopped, turning to face us.  As one began to speak to Luke, a gunshot rang out in the jungle and the porter’s head exploded in a cloud of red mist.

We all fell to the ground, dozens of shots echoed through the trees, calling and screaming from uphill to our left and downhill to our right.  Our porters were in a frenzy, Pablo with them, they took off in multiple directions, Pablo heading back the way we came, the porters scattering into the jungle.  Sloane  returned fire, emptying his rifle at where he thought the shouting was origination.  Laying back down to reload, I took up scanning the surrounds, my rifle ready, I knew once I fired, my rifle would give me away, no one here carried as load or as deadly a rifle as mine.  Guillermo’s voice cut through the jungle, that we should go home, Sloane  snorted and stopped reloading his rifle only to send both barrels of buckshot from his shotgun to where Guillermo’s voice came from before resuming his reload and calling out profanity.

More shots rang out as Rick, Sloane , Rigel and I all decided that we were to make a run for it.  Rick and Rigel in the lead covered by Sloane , myself in the rear.  Rick and Rigel went first, dashing through the jungle on the path ahead, Gunshots sounded again, snapping into trees around Rigel as he was the slower of the two, Sloane  followed, returning fire as he ran.  I watched closely at where the gunshots were coming from, I drew my Webley and laid it in front of me as I lined up my rifle.  I fired to my left, the roar of my rifle causing a groan in the distance, I fired again at a separate source to here what was no doubt a tree being shot and a scream of alarm at how close it must have been, I then stood, picking up my revolver and emptying it downhill towards more sources of fire. Again screams of close shots, making the gunmen take cover.

I took off after Sloane  and within a few moments found Rick, Rigel and Sloane  taking cover at the edge of a large clearing, peering through the trees I was met with a marvellous and daunting sight.  A Pyramid looking Temple stood across the open ground, about 50 meters ahead.  To my left was what looked like two large stone walls roughly 10 feet tall with an observation area looking over them.  To my right, a raised platform covered in dozens of pillars not unlike the ones we had seen in the jungle.  We were here, Chichen Xoxul.

Needing to find cover, we first headed left, across approximately 40 meters of open ground to the stone walls.  Strangely, we were not being pursued, by anything.  In this strange clearing, no birds, no beasts, no men made a sound.  Again the ground was covered in waist high grass, just enough to conceal ourselves in if gun fire followed us.  Sloane  was the first to notice something out of place, about 10 yards from the wall closest to us, a disturbed patch of grass, as if something lay there. Approaching it cautiously, it was as we feared, a body, well at least half a body.  Legs and waist, nothing else, sheared at the hips as if bitten by some sort of wild animal.  Looking closer, there seemed to be no repeat attack, just one strike, or bite as it appeared to be.  Looking around the remains, several bullet casings littered the grass along with a rifle also broken into pieces.  Something strange, the legs were, somehow preserved, apart from the off colour, nothing seemed to be decomposing, strange for a body that should have been dead at least weeks.

Moving on, we moved between the walls, atop them, jutting out were two large hoops, this was clearly a Mayan game of some sort, further along between the walls, tents, the first expedition.

Again, moving cautiously, the camp was dead, no signs of life, all that was left were bodies strewn across the ground, some suffering the same fate of the corpse outside, other shot dead by arrows and sliced by steel, however, the disturbing sight saw no body retain its head.  Something here was very wrong, Rigel motioned for me to join him at the storage area, almost all provisions of the party here had been untouched, they were packed for an extended stay but no sign of disturbance to the food showed more than a day or two of activity, again, the bodies seemed preserved.  Sloane  called for me to look at something a way off in the long grass, he described to me spines like that you see on the back of a porcupine, only bigger, I however saw nothing, but did not for one instant think of accusing him of seeing things, we both were rattled.  Rick then pointed in another direction, exclaiming he saw the familiar tail of a leopard, only larger than normal.

Enough loitering here, We moved to the pillars, some 60 meters away, the raised platform would give us an eye on the surroundings and we would see anything that entered the clearing.  Rick in the lead again, followed by Sloane  and Rigel with me covering the rear.  We moved quickly but cautiously, we were all on edge that we may not be alone in this tall grass.

As my eyes scanned the grass while moving backwards, something caught my eye, A large beetle of some kind, not just large, but enormous, the size of a large swine.  It resembled that of the Egyptian scarab, its bold armour plates revealing themselves momentarily above the grass before flickering a shimmering silver and returning under the grass line.  I needed to see it again.  I rushed everyone on to the ruins, all of us taking a knee at various pillars and looking over the grass we had traversed.  Trails like lines in the sand where we had moved from the walls to the platform where we now resided, behind the line we had made, a much thicker line, something had followed us, stopping short of meeting us and vanished, as if the beetle had taken flight without me seeing it and vanishing into thin air.  I turned my attention to the pillars.  Several feet tall, at their peak, the severed heads of the previous expedition members, all of them.  Turning my gaze lower, several pillars depicted the same toad like being, others a star or sun, however not the same as more traditional depiction of the sun known to me.  My eyes however were drawn lower, men amongst the pillars, Mayan men in traditional dress and armour, flickering the same way as the beetle I had seen in the grass.

I drew my 1911 and fired at one of them, collecting the pillar an inch above his head.  Sloane , who had decided to liberate the dynamite from Rick’s satchel as he was clearly in no shape to use it, turned to me at the sound of my shot just in time to see another Mayan loose an arrow directly at my chest.  It struck me dead centre, however I did not bleed.  A strange sensation came over me as the arrow passed straight through me, sending a tingling sensation across my entire body.  Passing through me it hit the pillar a few feet behind me and crashed to the stone floor.  Gripping my chest and searching for the Mayan’s who had disappeared from view, I made the decision to move to the temple, somewhere less exposed and defensible against whatever was out here.

The temple was only a short distance away, again I took the rear guard as Sloane  took the lead this time, it was clear that the ongoing of this place had shocked Rick into a sheep rather than a shepherd, blindly following us as his brain took time to process what he was seeing.  Our ascent of the temple revealed the landscape of the grassy courtyard ahead of us.  Vacant and bare, not a sound or sight of life to see.  Two thirds of the way up the temple, large slits, wide enough to crawl through breached the shell of the steps, a room in the centre of some kind, my passing look was blank, nothing more than something to look into if we had time and the risk of what was here disappeared.  Walking backwards again, my rifle scanning the grass, I heard screams from both Sloane  and Rick, Sloane  calling out his target, the giant porcupine, he fired with his rifle, Rick sighting the leopard, both men fired at the summit of the structure.  I turned on my heal to see the beetle pacing at the crest of the pyramid, Sloane  and Rick both missing their shots, I fired at it, my shot true and thumping into its chest, it took the bullet and reared up before disappearing out of view, I turned my gaze back to the grass in case this giant was merely one of many.  Did I really just do that? Did I just fire on a creature with no logical explanation of its existence?

We reached the top of the pyramid, looking about I notices on every corner of the central platform stool statues of jaguars, all sporting rows of four eyes on each side of their face, a curious notion, clearly stating that something was very wrong.

Looking to the single doorway leading into an enclosed room, the apex of the pyramid.  Moving inside, this was a defensible position, one way in, one way out.  Looking around the room, at its centre, a Mayan alter, however inverted, upside down, wrong.  Around the room, carvings of all manner of man and beast, all worshipping what looked like a sun or moon, however I knew the symbol for those things, this was different, something foreign, maybe a different constellation as the carvings were not mistakes, they had been made this way.  Looking at the bade of the alter, blood grooves littered the floor, the dried blood of ancient men still stained everything, the dark dried liquid forcing me to rub my hands of each symbol in search of a meaning.  At the front of the alter, a large square stone depicting the collection place of all blood drained from those slain on the alter, it depicted a large eye at its centre, not originally carved, but added later.  The blood grooved disappeared at the corners of the stone and were replaced by four holes roughly the side of my little finger descended below.

Sloane  looked puzzled for a moment before he sprang into action. He grabbed his canteen and began emptying it into the blood grooves, explaining he was curious as to the depth of the holes.  He then took Rick’s canteen and repeated the process, thinking his logic was sound, I poured mine also.  At the application of the three canteens, the water filled the holes and a loud crack of stone sounded.  The square slab began to move, cracking at its centre it swung downward to reveal a set of stairs that descended down roughly five meters.

Rick was the first to move down, leaping for the stairs, his panic seemed to have subsided at the discovery of this secret room.  Rigel grabbed him, pushing his against the wall before taking the lead down.  It was the first time I had seen Rigel actually sweating, despite being stabbed through the leg, he seemed physically shaken by this place.  We moved down the stone steps single file, once at the bottom, looking around the room, the long slits in the side of the pyramid showed blue sky protruding through the walls, a lever had also been affixed under the entry way to allow those within to exit.  The room itself, an observatory.

 The walls of this room were a deep red stone colour, all etched and carved with what looked like sequences of language that I could not understand, it was not Mayan, it was no Spanish, but more a mixture of many dialects and tongues all mixed together.  In the corner of the room, Luke was knelt down next to something, as I approached, I saw the old skeleton of a man wearing very modern clothing.  His bones were yellow, as if the flash had disappeared centuries ago and these bones would crack at the slightest gust of wind.  A revolver lay next to the bones, inspecting it, Sloane  told me that the chamber was full with only one shot fired, the hole in the skull evidence of that shot.  A leather book also rested next to the skeleton, I picked it up and began to read the writing of a Mr Alvar Vasquez, a Mexico City address listed inside the cover of the book.

I began to read his notes on the observatory, he seemed to write like a man in love, his fascination with what he called the “protective Red Stone” and the carvings within.  His notations suggest that this chamber was some sort of shell, a protected place from the outside surroundings.  His writing went on to depict that he knew he was the last of his expedition alive, he was protected within this observatory.  He makes particular care to note that this location reminded him of the occult lore surrounding a German by the name of Magnus Pegel, a name I had heard briefly in passing previously, but I could not remember where.

Pages upon pages of notes on ways to manipulate and almost control the observatory, Vasquez’s writing suggesting that this was a place that could transcend almost to view different places, however as I read on, his writing became more ramblings that legitimate research.

His final entries however reflect what I feared, a man on the edge, his entries reading about something that knows where he was, how to get to him, followed by pages and pages of the same phrase, ‘I cannot leave’.

How was this possible, these bones had been here what looked like centuries, these writings, clothes and appearance reflect a man who had been here no longer than a month.

Darkness passed over the temple, as if cloud cover passed by and pulled with it the curtain of night.  It was only early afternoon, how was this so.  Voices and chanting began to sound outside, the beating of drums and the screaming of men.  Alarmed I began to crawl up the observatory window slits, looking out, the world was wrong.  The sky was purple, not dark, but purple, the tars that shone did not blink or sparkle, they were solid and unmoving.  Peering over the lip of the observatory window, the Jungle across the open ground was like fire, red and bright, the ground itself covered in a strange fog and dust of purple, not like the sky, rather softer and shadowy.  Looking to the pillars on one side, it was covered in Mayans deep in prayer, their hands raised to the sky, their tones low and venomous.  The two walls at the far end were alive with Mayans also, running and playing what appeared to be a game of some kind.

Across the ground in front of me, climbing the steps of the pyramid, a Mayan crowd carrying on their shoulders what appeared to be the armoured warriors known as Conquistadors.  Their screams muffled, everything was muffled, the noise seemed distant, not as close as it should be, looking at the sky briefly, it made sense, no moon, no sun, but a strange other planetary mass was wide across the sky, this is what they had been depicting on their carvings.  I swallowed hard and watched where they were carrying the soldiers, my gaze turned upward in horror to see an enormous, gelatinous looking being, like that of a gigantic toad or frog sitting atop the pyramid, its mouth sucking on the entrance way we had discovered the alter in.  Its eyes, so many eyes watching everything and everyone, its teeth biting into the stone.  I close my eyes briefly and looked back down the passage I had crawled up only to see Sloane  moving towards the steps and lever.

I released my grip on the wall and began sliding down, back towards Sloane , calling for him not to touch anything.  I was too late. Sloane  had pulled the lever to reveal tentacles bursting through the opening and wrapping themselves around Rick and Sloane ’s waists, both men screaming and flailing briefly.  One tentacle moved for Rigel, brandishing a machete he sliced the tentacle in two and it recoiled.  As I slid down the window slit I drew my 1911 while watching Sloane  grab one of the stick of Dynamite from inside his coat.  I fired two shots at the tentacle that had latched on to Rick, striking it with both rounds, causing it to drop Rick to the flor who then ran to the furthest corner of the room and cowered in fear.  Sloane  lit the dynamite and threw it up into entry way as we braced for the blast I grabbed Sloane s hand and began pulling him back towards me.  The explosion sounded, everything went dark, inside, outside, I opened my eyes to see the door at the top of the stairs was shut, there was no sign of what had grabbed Sloane  and no damage from the explosive blast.  I asked Sloane  what he saw and without a need for more information, he simply told me of a mouth.

Sloane  also retreated to a corner, burying his head in his hands and falling to his haunches, we had to get out of this place.  I knew what I had to do, I had to do the one thing that would cause me pain, I would have to use the spell I had learned, the portal to somewhere else, somewhere safe.

Looking up and out of the long slits, the sky seemed different, almost normal again, I decided to go and look to see if the madness I had witnessed had passed.  Reaching the top of the incline I looked to the surrounds.  No people, Mayan or otherwise, the jungle was its normal colour, however it seemed far more overgrown than usual, dismissing it I turned skyward to see dark clouds brewing, darker than even the most violent storms.  Behind the clouds, lightning revealed itself, green and black, the lightning was burning in the sky.  Rain began to fall, however this was not rain, this was red, this was hot.  Looking over the grass of the landscape before me, everything the rain touched began to burn, this was not a reprieve, this was somewhere else again.

Sliding back down to the centre of the room I began working and carving the symbols I had been memorising into the stone table in the centre of the room.  I felt a thud on my shoulder as Rigel stared at me with enraged eyes.  I explained to him what outside looked like and promised him not to continue until he had seen for himself, I explained this was the only way to get us out of here.  Rigel began to climb the slits, honouring my word, I turned from the spell and began taking another look at the carvings on the walls of the observatory.  As I walked around the room the sky began to darken again, more clouds passed over head and the sound of Rigel sliding back down the stone made me anxious to continue the spell.

Rigel had slid most of the way down, his feet visible to me, he was still looking at something, I called to him only to see him unmoving, I grabbed his foot and pulled him down.  To my horror, only his legs appeared, from his stomach up, he was gone, not bitten, just gone, a clean scorched amputation, Rigel was gone.  I fell to my knees and began to pray, how much must I endure before I can be done with this, it has taken too much from me already.

Sloane , seeing my discovery of Rigel, picked me up and dragged me to the base of the stairs, slapping my face and demanding I get us out of here.  His faith in me seemed to be the only thing keeping him upright.

At that moment, the door above us flung open to reveal to us a great eye gazing at us.  In that eye I saw the horrors of the world, indescribable evils and cruelty, death and pestilence, violence and pain.  A pain shot through my body as if struck by lightning, everything went white.



A voice sounded in the bright light, Loud as thunder, yet calm as a mother to their child.  It asked me what I feared.  It asked me who I was.  It asked me why I was here.  It asked me question I did not expect.

I could hear Sloane ’s voice too, only distant, as if a wall of water stood between myself and him.  He was answering the question and asking some of his own.  I had no choice, there was nothing, only white light, was I dead, was this my mind’s doing, who was I talking to.

I spoke of my past to the voice, my pains, my fears, my loves, my mission, my loyalty.  As the voice continued to probe with questions, it felt like Sloane  and I were getting closer together, his voice becoming louder.

We enquired of the voice together, was this the liar, no, the voice identified itself as Golgoroth.  It explained that the liar had stolen its name for its own purposes.  I told us of the history of this place, Golgoroth, once worshipped by the Mayans, no forgotten to time, no one to worship it anymore, no power greater than that of malevolence.  The voice continued to retort our responses to its questions, we were here to stop the evil, to kill the liar.  Amused by this, Golgoroth clearly saw as nothing more than insects threatening planets.  Insignificant.

It was Sloane ’s voice that stopped Golgoroth from devouring us, his screams of the names, the Prisoner of Glaaki, gave Golgoroth pause.

That is the liar, The prisoner of Glaaki, the one who stole the name of Golgoroth, that is the liar.

‘Y’golonac’, Golgoroth spoke, the name of the liar.  The prisoner of Glaaki.

Insisting that Sloane and I battle this Prisoner and that was the reason for us to be here, a long silence hung in the air before the voice spoke simple words.

“We, battle the liar.”  The emphasis on “WE”.

If we wanted to get out of this place alive, Sloane  and I knew that we had no choice, unless we wanted to perish here and now, our work far from done.

Sloane  and I both agreed, the blinding light began to fade as I closed my eyes.  The pain was agony.  A searing pain through my head forced me to the floor, knowledge, knowledge being burned into my head, knowledge of Golgoroth.  Knowledge of this temple, knowledge of who I had now pledged allegiance.
This temple was a shrine that stands through time and space, the things I have seen, the different times and places, this place is a mirror to all.  As the darkness would decent, the reality of the time takes control, the only safe place, the observatory.  Rigel, his torso out of the slits as the darkness came, half of him remained with us, the other half remained to be burned by the rain of fire.  The monsters Sloan, Rick and I had seen, known as the daughters of Golgoroth, there are four of them, these beasts reveal themselves different to every person, what I saw did not match Sloane.
This place was a void, a rip in reality, do I now question the world in its entirety? Do I fight on and risk falling deeper into the rabbit hole?
I opened my eyes to find myself looking on the world as I knew it, the jungle was the same, the grass, the shy, all back to what I can only assume is my reality.  Sloane looked at me as if he had been hit by a bus, we both felt the same, twisted, violated, alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment