Thursday 19 October 2017

Session 06 – Marcus Black

We returned to New York to the familiar smells of the air and damp that both Carter and I had been friendly with.
Janet was waiting in the Hangar, she had been somewhat anxious regarding any new information as we had given her very little to go on in the last week.
We explained to her in full the discoveries and setbacks we had experienced, Carter did most of the talking as he was better equipped to explain it from a non cult enthusiast way.  At the end of our recount, we told her that the centre of the darkness her father had been chasing in the United States was located in Pasadena California. We requested her assistance once she had concluded that we must finish her father’s work, to supply us with additional men for the event, most likely violent that would be required.
She was not a supporter in violence yet we felt we had no choice.  We left the hanger both requesting to visit our families and return in a week as to recover, this was not denied.


Home
I returned home, Zoe and Chloe emerged from the house to greet me, unfortunately my appearance left Chloe shocked and afraid, my face was still battered and I did what I could to hide my lack of teeth.
Once inside Zoe was not impressed, we discussed for hours that I felt I needed to complete this work that I had started so many years ago.  She was right, there was no use arguing, we moved here to close the book on my past life and begin fresh.  However my life seems to follow me wherever I go.  Unimpressed, she did not enjoy my company as she knew I would not be deterred from completing this work that had been so consuming for so long.
I did my best to contact Father Rigel, the one man I knew capable of aiding me in what was to be a dangerous encounter.  I spoke to Father Gregory, he requested copies of all information I had gathered, he would do his best to aid me in understanding this darkness I had uncovered.  Father Rigel however, could not be reached.
The next week was spent with me barely moving from my study, I was pouring over the literature I had collected on my investigation, so much of this seemed so surreal that it couldn’t possibly be real, however with every turn of the page, reality and events that have transpired made themselves known in full force.
I scheduled an appointment with the dentist to have false teeth prepared, the least I could do to amend my current appearance.
Chloe slightly warmed as my bruises went down, sitting with her until she fell asleep was the highlight of my week, Zoe remained quiet, not wanting to partake in my company while I was so consumed with my work.

Before I knew it I was on my way back to Carter’s office, I had said my farewells to my family, giving Father Tom specific instructions to keep a close eye on my family, his devotion always freely given.
I was early as usually, waiting a little while for Carter to return from his usual watering hole.  I told him that I had been unsuccessful in recruiting anyone to our cause, he on the other hand presented two fellows, Jimmy, a driver and all around useful man, and Ron, a much darker man, a professional burglar of some sort, both men suggested to Carter by his contacts both above the law and below it.
It was Tuesday the 19th of November that we took to the skies once more on our way to Pasadena, Ron and Jimmy both overcome by the lavish interior of the plane. 
Once on the ground, everyone knew their roles, Ron was to do his best to obtain any technical data or plans on the house, Jimmy was to get his hands on some transportation, once obtained, both Jimmy and Frank would keep a close watch on all the comers and goers of the house.  Carter wanted to touch base with his friend the local cop who had been the investigating officer of what happened in 1924.
I spent much of my time familiarizing myself with my firearms.  My hands shaking as I knew the time to use them may be upon me sooner than I had hoped.

Frank and Jimmy returned to our hotel, a somewhat plain and ordinary establishment, their assessment was simple, lots of visitors during the day.  Some Hispanic, others more notably what was known as Zoot Suits, finely dressed men who’s clothing seemed a little on the loose side, all coming and going for no longer than 15 minutes.
Ron also appeared with plans from the city records office, his plan was simple, a night reconnaissance scheme.  His plan was to get close enough to pick a good point of entry and assess the movements of the staff at night.  Jimmy had familiarised himself with the surrounding streets as to best plot a steady and secure get away should we need to leave in a hurry.
We instructed Frank and Jimmy to keep their recon going, asking them to tail the zoot suits and see if any patterns emerge on who may have information we could use.
Ron, Carter and I all made ready for an uncomfortable night and left the hotel to begin our night observations.

When we approached the street, we ditched our vehicle, it took several minutes of Ron’s navigating to find a good place to watch from, the neighboring house shared a long hedge wall with Trammell’s estate, we all lay flat under the dense foliage as midnight approached.
Lights were on in the house, the upstairs balcony was lit along with several rooms littered around the upstairs and down.  It was clear the kitchen was a staging area for any guards and staff.  To the south of the house, the coach house was dark, no lights there, from Jimmy’s intel, this is where Walker was to be found most of the time.
Movement took our attention, the second floor balcony, a large man clad only in a robe smoking a long cigar began pacing, almost inaudible from our position, he was muttering something as he paced back and forth.  He began to defile himself as he walked, clearly this man was in some way broken.  Carter was the first to recognize him, this was one of the men in the photo’s we had collected of the unsavory activities Echiavarria had been involved with, from what we remembered, his was in many of the photos.  We could only assume this was Samson Trammell.  Another man emerged onto the balcony, both men spoke briefly before returning to the interior of the house.
All activity seemed to cease for the night after that.

At first light, a large van entered the property, some sort of food delivery, unloading at the back of the house where we assumed the kitchen was located.  It departed with minimal staff activity, by around 9:00 AM a car would approach the carriage house every half an hour or so, a collection of Suits, Hispanics and high class individuals would meet with Walker and enter the main house, then withdraw and drive away about 20 minutes later.

We decided to move, we had seen enough, with the morning sun creeping high and the shadows we had lurked in beginning to fail, our departure was called for.  As we moved back from the hedge an elderly man stood in our way, we all froze.
Carter broke the silence, forgive me sir, he said, explaining that we are investigators looking into the house next door as complaints had been made. At this news the gardener seemed to relax slightly, he began explaining that had made several such complaints himself.
He began telling us of the many things he had seen while working, his name was Brooker, a man who had tended these gardens for over 30 years.  He had seen many things, from what seemed to be a body being removed from the house, to strange naked people celebrating at night.

He took us to a corner of the garden, explaining to us that one night about 18month ago he heard some strange sounds coming from this area, he pushed back the thick moss on the ground to reveal a large stone mouth protruding from the ground.  He explained that when he first saw it, it was not stone, but a breathing, talking mouth of horrific design.  He ran screaming only to return with his mother’s silver crucifix, driving it into the mouth, it turned to stone.
I got down on my haunches to examine the mouth, this was almost identical to what I had seen in the Sanatorium in Savannah.  A strange feeling came over me as I rose to my feet, I could not explain it, something familiar yet harrowing.
Brooker explained to us that the Saunders family, the owners of this house were out of town for some time, we agreed to pay him handsomely to use a room within to operate out of for the next few evenings, finally something that has worked in our favor.

We returned to our hotel shortly after, Frank also returned around lunch time, explaining that the men who had visited the house, began distributing something all over town, from high society homes to derelict hovels.  One house in particular was getting deliveries very regularly.  Carter and I decided to pay this house a visit, once we got some rest.
It was about 5:00PM when we set out to visit this supposed customer of the zoot suits, Frank was driving with Carter any I in the back.  We both carried our pistols, we didn’t think once house merited such a large potential threat as to require shotguns.
Carter knocked on the door, the response was a brazen ‘whose there’.  Explaining that we are a supplier he let us in, his appearance was terrible, injection marks covered his arms, his face and torso badly scratched, his eyes sunken in his skull.  He demanded his ‘stuff’.  Carter refused and told him who we were, without hesitation the man threw himself at Carter, launching an assault of devastating violence.  Carter was under the man, I stormed to the fray throwing a wild hook punch that connected with the man’s jaw with almost no effect but a swift jab to my groin, I stumbled back, undeterred I launched myself at him again as Carter also landed several blows on the mans mid section.  Again I struck his head, with little more effect he swayed and lashed at me, enough to take me aback again.
Carter managed to seize the opportunity to reverse his position, throwing the man to the ground and pin his chest there by smothering his back.  I had had enough and drew my pistol, I slammed it into the man’s face and told him to calm down or he would be shot.  Carter did the same, with two pistols now trained on the man, he resigned himself to a position of surrender.
Carter began is rough questioning, Lee, the man’s name was, he told Carter of the ‘Nectar’ he had been receiving, collecting an empty vile from Lee’s rubbish, it was an amber coloured liquid smelling of moss.  In between pieces of information Lee continued to throw insults and remarks more so at me than at Carter, something that made me want to hurt him as Jack had hurt me.
Lee spoke of how he first encountered the elixir.  During a visit to Bangkok, he was offered this substance and it made him violent, uncontrollably violent, his experience led him to the unlicensed fighting world where the substance was common. He explained that what he gets delivered here makes you erotically charged, where in Bangkok, it makes you violent.
He seemed to like Carter, most likely because they had been brawling, he told us that when in Bangkok we should go to the ‘Fragrant honey Shop’ that is where it can be found.
We left soon after, Carter looked like he was going to thank Lee, and all I wanted to do was break him.

We had arranged to meet everyone at the house next to Trammell’s estate.  We all ate and began taking shifts watching what the night’s darkness would reveal.
For hours people are dropped off at the residence, mostly fancy dressed and financial outgoing people, all entering from the rear of the house.
Most lights began to go out around 11:00PM, with everyone that has entered, the closest estimate would be 20-30 people inside.  At midnight, everything is quiet, no signs of life, what would appear to any passers-by as a sleeping house.


No comments:

Post a Comment